SPAC Advisory Services
We continue to work with clients to help navigate the ongoing challenges and complexities associated with SPAC transactions.
Duff & Phelps, A Kroll Business, board member Olivier Sarkozy provides an outlook on the SPACs.
Focused expertise for SPAC transactions.
Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs) have exploded as an alternate vehicle to take a company public without undergoing the same rigor as in the traditional IPO process. Since January of 2020 through Q1 2021, there have been 546 SPAC IPOs totaling over $170 billion in proceeds, with 433 SPACs currently active and seeking targets. Given the proliferation of SPACs, scrutiny of this vehicle is likely to continue to increase. SPAC executives and sponsors will need to ensure they are in compliance with regulatory reporting requirements and have sufficient governance policies in place to withstand added scrutiny and potential litigation.
On April 12, 2021 the SEC issued a new Staff Statement on Accounting and Reporting Considerations for Warrants Issued by SPACs. While SPACs have typically classified warrants on their balance sheets as equity, the SEC has highlighted that under certain circumstances U.S. GAAP would require warrants to be classified as a liability that is measured at fair value every quarter, with changes in fair value reported in earnings. SPACs that have misclassified their warrants as equity may be required to restate their financial results if the impact is deemed material. As a result, the SEC has effectively halted all in progress offerings, business combinations and new IPO filings until SPACs resolve the accounting and related valuation questions with respect to their warrants issued. Read our client alert for more information.
Duff & Phelps, A Kroll Business, is working with SPAC clients and sponsors on determining the fair value of the warrant liability in connection with reclassification as a liability on the balance sheet at the IPO date and at subsequent quarterly reporting dates. As the leading independent valuation services firm in the world, we are uniquely positioned to provide the requisite fair value determination to support a SPAC’s financial reporting obligations in a timely manner. We can also assist in responding to valuation questions from auditors, other stakeholders and regulators.
In addition, Kroll offers a full suite of services to SPACs, including valuations for financial reporting and tax purposes (i.e., business combinations, warrant valuations, etc.), valuations of interests in SPACs (including founders’ interests, PIPES and restricted shares), fairness opinions, reputational and buy- and sell-side due diligence, contracts and privacy compliance reviews, corporate compliance risk and governance, conflict disclosures and fiduciary obligations analyses, among others.
What We Offer
- Fairness Opinions rendered to the Board of Directors of the SPAC on de-SPAC transactions
- Financial due diligence on de-SPAC targets
- Buy-side due diligence on the target acquisition company including key management
- Sell-side due diligence on the SPAC sponsors/founders
- Audit and analysis of reasonableness of the financial projections of the SPAC target
Warrant valuations for financial reporting
Valuations for business combinations (ASC 805 and IFRS 3)
Valuation of interests in SPACs (Founders’ interests, PIPES, restricted shares)
Tax valuations and transfer pricing
Governance, Risk and Compliance
- Extracting and reviewing contract clauses for potential risks in legal agreements
- Assessing security and privacy compliance
- Analyzing sponsor incentives, conflict of interest disclosures, and sponsor fiduciary obligations to SPAC and to other clients
- Reviewing controls surrounding the receipt of material non-public Information
- Evaluating SPAC's corporate governance and reporting
- Conducting pre- and post-transaction financial due diligence
- Assessing fraud risk of internal controls to determine the appropriate policies and procedures
- Providing investigative support resulting from identified internal malfeasance
Brazil Transactions Insights – Summer 2021
Valuation Insights – Second Quarter 2021
How Will Recent SEC Scrutiny Impact the Viability and Valuation of SPACs?
SPAC Warrants Under SEC Scrutiny
SPAC Market Report – Spring 2021
Mark Kwilosz Shares His Insights on the Current Landscape of SPACs With Bloomberg News' Hyperdrive Daily
SPAC Listings Foreshadow Robust TMT Landscape
SPAC Market During Q1 Showed 'Explosive Growth'
Bob Bartell Quoted on SPAC Growth and Regulatory Developments
Blank-Check Deals, Distressed M&A To Headline 2021 Trends
has signed a definitive merger agreement to be acquired by