Prior to this, she specialized in process excellence by developing and executing business efficiencies and quality initiatives. Mariellen started her career with Kroll by establishing and managing Kroll’s intern program in Washington, D.C. Over the course of her tenure in this role, she was responsible for the recruiting, training, and mentoring of nearly 200 interns in what has become an immensely successful program. These interns focus on multi-language research and produce work supporting Kroll offices with global due diligence, business intelligence, and compliance research.
Prior to joining Kroll, Mariellen worked for FTI Consulting following the firm’s appointment as lead investigator in the Bernard L. Madoff/BLMIS fraud case. Before this, she provided Spanish-language investigative research for boutique investigations firm Nardello & Co. Mariellen previously worked for The Mintz Group in both its Washington, D.C., and New York offices, where she conducted and supervised domestic and international investigations ranging from fraud, money laundering, and trafficking cases to due diligence, third party vendor screens, and compliance remediation. During her time with Mintz, she launched and managed the firm’s London office. Upon her return to the U.S., she supervised the firm’s due diligence department.
- As part of the Madoff/BLMIS investigation, reviewed submitted claims for fraud while conducting asset searches on Madoff family members and performing background searches to identify BLMIS insiders and related entities to help uncover hidden funds.
- Provided Spanish-language investigative research and litigation support for U.S. liquor distribution companies sued in federal court by the Colombian government alleging money laundering and liquor trafficking.
- Supported a fraud case against the assistant of a private equity investment executive that resulted in a guilty plea to grand larceny in New York State Supreme Court and the withdrawal of a multimillion-dollar harassment lawsuit against the principal.
- Conducted integrity reviews on an overseas racing company and its CEO for a New York State Office of the Inspector General report evaluating entities seeking to operate New York Racing Association racetracks.
Education and Certifications
- M.S., John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York
Affiliations and Memberships
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (Member)
Awards and Recognition
- Finalist, Innovator of the Year (2016), Women in Compliance
- Finalist, Consulting Team of the Year (2016), Women in Compliance