The 2018 Antitrust Annual Report is now available, providing a comprehensive view of antitrust class action cases and industry trends.
The report, the result of a partnership between Huntington National Bank and the University of San Francisco Law School, lays out the statistics from federal class actions between 2013-2018.
In addition to complaint and case summaries, the report finds:
- In the last 10 years, a mean number of 420 complaints were filed per year, with outlier years as low as 223 and as high as about 660.
- From 2013-2018, there were Claim Defendant Wins in 43 cases as a result of Judgment on the Pleadings, Summary Judgment, or Trial.
- From 2013-2018, most antitrust class actions that reached Final Approval did so within three to five years.
- The mean settlement amount varied by year from about $25 million to $42 million, and the median amount varied by year from about $5 million to $11 million.
- The total annual settlements ranged from about $1 billion to $5 billion per year.
- The cumulative total of settlements was $19.3 billion from 2013-2018.
The report analyzes three types of cases: complaints filed from 2013- 2018, cases won by defendants from 2013-2018, and cases with settlements reaching final approval or verdicts awarded within the time period of 2013-2018.
Download The Study Now