G. William (Bill) Kennedy
Dr. G. William (Bill) Kennedy, Ph.D., CPA/ABV, is a managing director in the Expert Services practice for Kroll in the Boston office. He has over 30 years of professional experience including serving as a partner with a Midwest regional CPA firm and holding managing director positions with global litigation consulting firms. For the past 20 years, his practice has focused on business valuation, economic damages, lost profits and litigation support services where he has testified in numerous state and federal courts and before international arbitration tribunals.
Bill is a 2003 inductee into the AICPA Business Valuation Hall of Fame. He is the former Chair of both the AICPA ABV Credentials Committee and the AICPA ABV Examination Committee. He was also a member of the AICPA M&A Disputes Resolution Taskforce that authored the AICPA Practice Aid, Mergers and Acquisitions Disputes. He is currently a member of the American Society of Appraisers Business Valuation Review Editorial Review Board.
Bill has held various academic positions, including the rank of Associate Professor of Finance (with tenure). He currently serves as Adjunct Professor for the graduate accounting program at Florida Atlantic University where he developed and teaches a course on fair value measurement. He is a frequent speaker on both valuation and statistics related topics at AICPA and ASA National Conferences.
He has substantial doctoral level training in statistics and econometrics and has taught statistics at the college and university level. He has presented numerous sessions on the use of statistics and time series analysis in valuation and litigation support engagements at the AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services conferences and American Society of Appraisers Advanced Business Valuation conferences. He has recently co-authored a chapter on the use of statistics in litigation support engagements that is included in a professional text on litigation support for financial experts and attorneys. He has utilized sophisticated statistical and econometric methodologies and provided testimony on their use in litigation support engagements.
Bill has a Ph.D. in finance from Saint Louis University, and a B.S. and M.A.S. in accounting from the University of Illinois. He is a CPA and holds the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) designation.
- Provided testimony in Delaware Court of Chancery regarding the fairness of an offer price in a proposed public company merger.
- Provided consultation, expert reports and testimony in a post-acquisition disputes on the proper application of GAAP in preparing closing balance sheets and calculating closing working capital.
- Provided consultation and expert report on damages suffered by the shareholder class of a publicly-traded oil and gas exploration and development company in a merger transaction.
- Used event studies methodology to quantify damages suffered by shareholder class and provide consultation in several matters involving EU domiciled public companies listed on international stock exchanges.
- Provided testimony in an international arbitration regarding the use of event studies to quantify damages to a foreign-listed mining company whose assets were seized by a sovereign nation.
- Consulted with large private equity firm regarding potential damages from post-acquisition claim for breach of representation and warranties.
- Served as valuation expert and provided expert testimony for the shareholder class in a major class action suit regarding the acquisition of a publicly traded social media company and damages suffered by the selling shareholder class.
- Provided testimony regarding the valuation of a gaming industry joint venture.
- Performed valuation analysis and provided expert testimony regarding the valuation of an internet website.
- Used event study methodology to identify and quantify changing sales patterns as a basis for quantifying lost profits (damages to company brand by adverse events and adverse publicity).
- Provided expert testimony regarding the valuation of a minority ownership interest in a manufacturing company prior to its sale.
- Provided consultation on the valuation of an internet enabled technology used in the agriculture industry.
- Provided consultation on the valuation of ownership interest in the general partner entity of a large alternative asset management firm.
- Provided testimony regarding the valuation of trade secrets.
- Performed valuation analysis and provided expert testimony regarding the ownership interest in a privately held international oil trading company.
- Perform statistical analysis of customer buying patterns and provide testimony regarding quantification of lost sales and profits.
- Retained by the U.S. Department of Justice to provide damage analysis and rebuttal expert testimony in a case involving the U.S. Postal Service.
- Certified Public Accountant, Accredited in Business Valuation (CPA/ABV)
- B.S. in Accountancy, University of Illinois
- Masters of Accounting Science (M.A.S.), University of Illinois
- Ph.D. in Finance, Saint Louis University
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), Member
- AICPA Forensic and Valuation Services (FVS) Section, Member
Independent expert analysis, testimony, advice and investigations for complex disputes and projects.
Commercial Litigation and International Arbitration
Expertise in complex commercial disputes and international arbitrations.
Corporate Commercial Litigation
Calculate, evaluate and respond to all types of claims of contract damages
M&A and Financing Disputes
Strategic advice, analysis and expert testimony for issues arising from M&A transactions.
Accounting and valuation consulting and testifying services for post-closing purchase price disputes.
Shareholder and Securities Disputes
Expertise in complex shareholder and securities disputes.
Class Actions and Mass Tort Disputes
Significant experience across key sectors vulnerable to class actions and mass tort claims.