William Scott-Gall is an associate managing director in Kroll’s Business Intelligence and Investigations practice, based in the London office. William has played a leading role on numerous due diligence and reputation audit assignments, cross-border asset searches, white-collar crime investigations, and regulatory compliance matters. He primarily focuses on cases in EMEA, in particular Central and Eastern Europe/FSU countries.
Prior to joining Kroll in May 2007, William worked for a city public relations consultancy and as an English language teacher in Japan.
- Due Diligence and Reputation Audit
William has managed a number of due diligence investigations in relation to transactions, joint ventures, and executive hires, enabling clients to mitigate risks and make informed business decisions.
He has consulted with a number of high-net-worth individuals and family offices on the management of reputational issues emerging from their business or personal activities, providing reputational audits for potential business partners, supporting applications to regulators, litigation proceedings and PR strategies with rigorous due diligence.
- Investigation into utilization levels at a commercial shipping company
- Due diligence into the principal of a commercial real estate business
- Discreet intelligence-gathering in relation to a transaction in the infotech sector
- Pre-employment screening of senior hires for an international automotive company
- Due diligence on entities in the supply chain for a major mining company
- Fraud and Corruption Investigations
- Investigated a corrupt scheme involving rigged state tenders and fake subcontractors
- Investigated the fraudulent activities of the managers of a gold mining operation and the embezzlement of funds
- Investigated allegations of corruption involving a government official and their relatives and associates
- Litigation Support and Asset Recovery
Worked with clients and their legal advisors on civil litigation cases that required a combination of computer forensics, analysis of public domain materials, and intelligence-gathering.
- Identified assets, including liquid assets/cash, relating to a large Middle Eastern conglomerate
- Identified assets of individuals who have provided personal guarantees in connection to defaulted corporate loans
- Led a forensic contract audit of a major construction project, assessing financial and operational data, interviewing key executives, and briefing the client on strategic options for litigation and recovery
- Investigated the production and sale of “Frankenstein” parts in the European automotive market
- Gathered information and identified potential witnesses in support of a multijurisdictional contested family matter
- Conducted detailed investigation in support of a contested insurance matter
- Investigated allegations of misconduct and undisclosed conflicts of interest in relation to an international arbitration award and related litigation
- Cyber | Breach | Leak of Information
- Identified individuals involved in leaks of information from a major UK business
- Investigated and identified a former employee who was attempting to blackmail a large multinational organization using stolen confidential information
- Led multiple investigations into breaches of contract by current and former employees at client organizations in the UK and across Europe, including fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and breach of contractual obligations
- Regulatory Compliance | Financial Crime | ABC / KYC
Conducted audit and testing of KYC policies and procedures as part of an ongoing global monitorship of a top tier international financial institution. William’s focus has been on the effectiveness of the institution’s money-laundering and sanctions compliance programs in relation to large corporate clients, financial institutions, and correspondent banking.
Education and Certifications
- B.A. (Hons), History and Russian, University of Sheffield
- English – Fluent
- Russian – Working knowledge
- Czech – Working knowledge
- French – Working knowledge