Rich Plansky is North America regional managing director for the Business Intelligence and Investigations practice at Kroll, a division of Duff & Phelps, based in New York. Rich has over 25 years of experience planning, executing and leading complex investigations for law firms, Fortune 500 corporations, financial institutions, government agencies, non-governmental organizations and high-net-worth individuals. He specializes in investigations involving fraud, corruption, sanctions and anti-money laundering violations, theft of intellectual property, employee misconduct, and customized fact-finding in support of litigation.
Rich returned to Kroll in 2019 after spending four years at K2 Intelligence as Executive Managing Director, Americas Regional Head and three years at Exiger as Global Head of Investigations. His previous experience includes serving as an assistant district attorney in the New York County District Attorney’s office, as well as deputy criminal justice coordinator for Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. Since 2016, Rich has been on the board of directors at Safe Horizon, the largest victim services non-profit organization in the U.S., providing social services for victims of abuse and violent crime in 57 locations throughout the five boroughs of New York City.
Rich’s work as a prosecutor has been featured on TruTV’s “Murder by the Book,” A&E’s “Cold Case Files,” and Discovery Channel’s “The New Detectives.” He has also appeared as a commentator on CNBC, CNN, FOX News and TruTV and presented on intellectual enforcement strategies at conferences sponsored by the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition, U.S. State Department, and Association of Corporate Patent Attorneys.
- Corporate Internal Investigations
Rich has assisted numerous investigations for corporate clients seeking to identify and mitigate internal risks, particularly in response to government investigations. Representative cases include the following:
- Led an investigation on behalf of a Middle Eastern financial institution regarding alleged violations of U.S. sanctions law requiring extensive analysis of both structured and unstructured data
- Led a multi-jurisdictional investigation into alleged FCPA violations for a large, publicly-traded retailer
- Led an investigation into alleged FCPA violations for a privately-held technology company
- Led an investigation into allegations of extensive kickbacks paid by a subcontractor on a large-scale construction project
- Led investigations into leaks of confidential information for, among other clients, a hedge fund, chemical company and high-speed trading firm
- Led an investigation into allegations of expense fraud for a publicly-traded retail company
- Led numerous investigations into allegations of employee misconduct, including sexual misconduct and harassment
- Complex External Investigations
Rich has successfully planned and conducted some of the industry’s most complex external investigations. Representative cases include the following:
- Led a groundbreaking investigation into media transparency in the U.S. advertising industry for the Association of National Advertisers (ANA); the investigation resulted in findings of widespread kickbacks to media-buying companies and led to industry-wide calls for systemic change
- Designed and led a series of complex undercover investigations on behalf of Everytown for Gun Safety into the illegal sale of guns at gun shows across the country and on the internet
- Led an investigation into political corruption in the state of New York for the Moreland Commission to Combat Public Corruption
- Intellectual Property Investigations
Rich has led large-scale investigations into the theft of intellectual property, including software, medical devices, consumer goods and patented chemical processes, for a wide array of corporate clients.
- Customized Fact-Finding for Litigation
Rich has supported lawyers with customized fact-finding designed to enhance their representation of clients engaged in high-stakes litigation. Engagements have included multi-jurisdictional asset searches, development of high-value witnesses, acquisition of physical and documentary evidence, background investigations into adverse expert and event witnesses, and the development of affirmative evidence through tactical means like undercover operations, surveillance and site visits.
- Investigative Due Diligence
Using a combination of customized open source research and human source inquiries, Rich has provided critical intelligence to financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds and the lawyers who represent them in support of transactions and corporate contests.
- Harvard Law School, Juris Doctor, magna cum laude
- Duke University, Bachelor of Arts, summa cum laude
Affiliations and Activities
- Member of the Bar, New York and New Jersey
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Board Member, Safe Horizon