Oliver Stern is an associate managing director in Kroll’s Business Intelligence and Investigations practice, based in the London office. Oliver specializes in sub-Saharan Africa. He leads a wide range of investigations for corporations and financial institutions and their advisers, including pre-transactional due diligence, background investigations, market entry studies, internal corruption and bribery investigations, forensic accounting, compliance-driven third-party screenings, and asset traces.
Oliver joined Kroll in February 2016 after three and a half years working for the multinational mining company Anglo American on its London-based Strategy and Business Development team. He is a country risk and business environment specialist with extensive international experience, including three years living and working in Mozambique.
- Whilst with Anglo American, Oliver was responsible for identifying non-technical risks in prospective investment destinations, focusing on the ease of doing business, security of tenure, operational security, and reputational risk.
- Oliver has managed in-country intelligence gathering assignments and relationship building with a range of private, civil society, and public sector stakeholders. He has helped clients design risk mitigation strategies to support successful investments in new countries and jurisdictions.
- He has government relations and development policy expertise, with experience in Central, East and Southern Africa, as well as China, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, and Serbia.
- Whilst working for the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Oliver managed the relationships and funding mechanisms associated with implementing a £5 million UK Government program to support the Mozambican Government’s transport system.
- Oliver served as an adviser/consultant in the office of the Mozambique Minister of Transport, where he was responsible for preparing compelling business cases for DFID interventions, including a program to support Mozambique’s engagement with the resource extraction industry.
Education and Certifications
- MSc, Politics of the World Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- BA 1ST Class (Hons), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
Affiliations and Membership
- Overseas Development Institute Fellow