Mitchell is a managing director and leads the Cayman Islands office. Mitchell has over 15 years of experience delivering bespoke solutions in respect of complex cross-border restructurings, liquidations, shareholder disputes and valuations, investigations, and litigation across Australia, Asia, North America, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.
Mitchell has acted on behalf of public and private companies, shareholders, funds, secured and unsecured creditors on assignments across the financial services, shipping, retail, agriculture, pharmaceutical, property, mining, resources, construction and manufacturing industries.
Mitchell also leads the Funds and Asset Management services for Kroll’s Restructuring practice. In this position, he is responsible for providing advisory and discretionary asset management services for illiquid or distressed investments, including divestments, rationalizing management cost structures, restructuring of single investments or portfolio realizations.
Prior to relocating to the Cayman Islands office, Mitchell was based in the Singapore office, advising clients across Asia and globally.
Mitchell is a Chartered Accountant, Cayman Islands Official Liquidator and registered Liquidator in Australia.
Professional Affiliations and Academic Qualifications
- Cayman Islands Official Liquidator
- Registered Liquidator, Australia
- Member of Recovery and Insolvency Specialists Association (RISA) - Cayman Islands
- Member of the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL)
- Member of the Australian Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Member of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand - Chartered Accountant
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of New England, Australia
Mitchell’s recent experience includes:
- Joint Official Liquidator over the Offshore Feeder Funds of Platinum Partners, a US$1.7 billion hedge fund family based in New York.
- Joint Official Liquidator of China Medical Technologies Inc, including investigating the misappropriation of over US$600 million.
- Joint Voluntary Administrator of Tamarind Taranaki Limited, a company engaged in the operation of several large oil fields located in New Zealand.
- Joint and Several Receiver over marketable securities in an Australian listed company engaged in the operation of leisure and entertainment businesses across the Asia Pacific region.
- Joint and Several Receiver over a group of companies engaged in the production, distribution and sale of coal bed methane gas in China.
- Independent Financial Adviser to a Bahraini construction company to restructure its funding facilities.
- Valuation expert and provided testimony in respect of a shareholder dispute involving a pharmaceutical roll-up of eight contract development and manufacturing organisations.
- Led the buy side financial and legal due diligence in respect of a non-performing loan portfolio in Indonesia with loans totalling approximately US$500 million.
Financial and operational restructuring and enforcement of security, including investigation, preservation and realization of assets for investors, lenders and companies.
Valuation of businesses, assets and alternative investments for financial reporting, tax and other purposes.
Our Offshore Restructuring practice draws upon Kroll's broad financial services industry expertise to provide effective, timely advice and solutions.
Cross Border Insolvency
Assisting stakeholders, including creditors, investors and management, to identify solutions in contentious situations.