Matthew Weitz is an associate managing director in the Business Intelligence and Investigations practice of Kroll based in the London office. Matthew is a qualified accountant with over 11 years of experience in fraud, corruption, money-laundering, and dispute resolution investigations, as well as compliance and anti-corruption reviews across a wide range of sectors. He has worked closely with regulators and legal professionals, and has managed large and complex cross-border projects. His forensic accounting and anti-corruption experience spans over 30 countries.
Prior to joining Kroll, Matthew worked in house at a large multinational corporation as a financial investigator, and at an international accountancy firm in China and the UK.
- Led a number of workstreams in a large-scale investigation into fraudulent activity at a bank in Ukraine, which involved losses of USD 5.5 billion. Matthew led a team which produced detailed evidence packs for legal claims as well as produced a forensic investigation report for the National Bank of Ukraine.
- Led an investigation into a large-scale fraud involving the collapse of three banks and the loss of USD 1 billion, on behalf of a Central Bank in Eastern Europe.
- Reconstructed the fund flows and the document trail in the investigation of a large-scale fraud in a North African country which involved the theft of USD 20 million. This assisted proceedings being brought for recoveries in multiple jurisdictions.
- Managed an investigation for a European Central Bank involving money-laundering allegations
- Performed forensic accounting analysis to support a multimillion-dollar corruption investigation into the misappropriation of EU development funds in a West African country, reporting to the country’s president.
- Led a review for a multinational medical device producer of its distributor base in high-risk countries to identify and investigate potential fraudulent transactions and assess compliance with internal controls and international anti-corruption legislation.
- Conducted a governance and compliance review for an international insurance company based in the Middle East to identify areas for improvement in internal control, specifically in relation to anti-corruption and anti-money-laundering procedures, as well as compliance with international sanctions.
- Acted as an independent monitor for a high-value retail conglomerate which had experienced a series of frauds and which was implementing new and more robust systems and controls.
- Conducted a supply chain review for a UK alcoholic beverage producer to verify due diligence processes in relation to duty-suspended sales.
- Provided forensic document analysis for a shareholder dispute between two Ukrainian businessmen.
Education & Certification
- BA, Modern Chinese Studies, University of Leeds
- Certified Fraud Examiner
Affiliation & Memberships
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Public Financial Accountants, UK
- Mandarin – Business Fluent
- French – Business Fluent
- English – Native