Howard Cooper is a managing director in the Business Intelligence and Investigations practice and co-head of the Global Financial Investigations practice at Kroll, a division of Duff & Phelps. Howard is a qualified accountant with extensive experience in conducting investigations into fraud, money laundering, asset tracing, corruption, disputes and insolvencies across a wide range of sectors. He has broad experience working with regulators and prosecuting bodies and specializes in conducting financial investigations in the banking and financial services sector.
- Engaged by the National Bank of Ukraine to conduct an onsite forensic investigation of Privatbank following its nationalization.
- Engaged by the National Bank of Moldova to conduct a forensic investigation into alleged financial irregularities that resulted in the collapse of three local banks, with a combined loss of $1 billion USD.
- Engagement lead to conduct an onsite forensic audit in in Mozambique in relation to $2 billion USD in loans contracted by three Mozambique state-owned entities.
- Engaged by the Latvian government to support the review of suspicious activity reports in relation to the operations of a Latvian bank.
- Engaged by the Central Bank of Cyprus to conduct an onsite investigation in relation to money laundering allegations in a Cypriot bank. Howard enhanced the supervision department’s ability to use data analytics as part of an anti-money laundering (AML)/combating the financing of terrorism (CFT) risk assessment methodology.
- Engaged by a European bank to help respond to a formal notice issued by the financial regulator. Conducted an onsite investigation and highlighted weaknesses in the bank’s compliance and risk management infrastructure from a bribery and corruption perspective.
- Investigated a $150 million USD fraud in the UK-based fixed-income trading team of a Russian bank. Traced fraud proceeds and supported asset recovery in multiple jurisdictions and assisted the client with the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) s166 investigation.
- Assisted a LIBOR panel bank to conduct an internal investigation and implement a document review methodology to respond to disclosure requests in the UK (FCA), Tokyo (Financial Services Agency), and the USA (Department of Justice and Commodity Futures Trading Commission) in relation to price-fixing allegations.
- Criminal investigation on behalf of the Bahrain Public Prosecutor into alleged fraudulent activities related to the collapse of The International Banking Corporation and Awal Bank in Bahrain.
Education and Certifications
- BA (Hons), History, University of Hull
Affiliations and Memberships
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants