Hiroki Katayama is a managing director and head of Japan for the Forensic Investigations and Intelligence practice of Kroll, based in the Tokyo office. He is responsible for managing a variety of risk consulting engagements, including complex compliance-related engagements in Japan and coordinating the delivery of such tasks globally for Japan-based clients.
Hiroki’s areas of expertise include reviews of business processes and financial due diligence. His experience includes extensive consulting services in the areas of corporate governance related to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, business due diligence for merger and acquisition deals, and reviews of internal control and remediation.
Prior to joining Kroll, Hiroki was an Associate Director at an international risk consultancy. He managed a broad range of complex initiatives with a specific focus on business due diligence and strategic organization reform. Previously, he was a senior manager at one of the Big Four accounting firms, where he led company-wide projects related to risk and management consulting, with a particular focus on valuation, due diligence, and internal control reviews of Japanese companies.
Hiroki began his professional career at Dai-ichi Kangyo Bank (now Mizuho Bank), where he was extensively involved with compliance-related initiatives, including assessment of business requirements and systems related to regulation changes and guidance provided by the Japanese Ministry of Finance.
- Conducted pre-transactional due diligence and background investigations for major Japanese trading companies that are considering investment opportunities in Southeast Asian countries. As a result, the client was able to eliminate potential risks before contracting.
- Compiled a pre-market entry risk assessment study for Japanese multinational manufacturers.
- Completed a threat assessment for Japanese power systems companies that plan to construct hydro plants in Latin American countries.
- Provided measures planning support to prevent information leakage for Japanese manufacturers.
- Supported a fraud investigation on behalf of a Japanese multinational company in China.
- Enhanced a corporate organizational structure to be able to cope with business environment change.
Education & Certifications
- Ph.D. (program completed sans degree), International Business, Waseda University (Japan)
- M.B.A., Chuo University (Japan)
- LL.B., Seikei University (Japan)
- Japanese – Native
- English – Fluent
- Portuguese – Fluent