Dan’s experience includes valuations for fair market value (FMV) opinions, purchase price allocations, impairment analyses, share-based compensation and various types of intangible assets, including intellectual property, certificates of need, licenses, currently marketed products, noncompete agreements, customer relationships and in-process research and development.
Prior to joining Kroll, Dan was a manager in the Economic & Valuation Services Group at KPMG LLP, where he performed valuations for a wide array of public and private companies. He started his career in the audit practice at KPMG LLP.
Dan has extensive experience working with for-profit and nonprofit clients in the health care industry, specifically health systems, acute-care hospitals, specialty pharmacy companies, rehabilitation hospitals, clinical labs, imaging centers, surgery centers, physician practices, dialysis centers, radiation therapy centers, home health agencies and other providers. He has handled multiple engagements, which include advising:
- A health system in developing financial projections and FMV of general acute care hospital as part of a proposed transaction
- A health system in determining FMV for regulatory compliance purposes related to the purchase of various physician practices
- A specialty pharmacy company in assessing FMV of various management service agreements and joint ventures
- A post-acute provider in determining FMV for a home health agency purchase
- A primary care platform with various administrative agreement FMVs and health system partnership FMVs
- An academic medical center in assessing data partnership with genomic company and multiple pharma partners
- An academic medical center to determine FMV of clinical lab and related lab test pricing for proposed joint venture
- An ambulatory surgery center network in determining FMV of various management services agreements, medical director agreements and call coverage agreements
- A health system in determining FMV for the buy-out of an imaging center joint venture
- Physician practice platforms across specialties (e.g., dental, ophthalmology, urology, women’s health, primary care, etc.) with estimating the fair value of tangible and intangible assets in connection with post-transaction opening balance sheets
- Not-for-profit and for-profit health systems across the U.S. with estimating fair value of the business enterprise, tangible assets, and intangible assets in connection with post-transaction opening balance sheets
- An international health care provider with the development of financial projections and transaction scenarios
Dan has presented at conferences and published articles with various industry organizations, including the American Health Law Association, the Healthcare Financial Management Association and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Dan holds a B.S. and an M.S. in accounting from Marquette University. He is a Certified Public Accountant and is accredited in business valuation by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.