Brian Weihs is a managing director with Kroll's Forensic Investigations and Intelligence practice and head of the Mexico office. With over 20 years of experience advising clients across multiple industries on complex matters, Brian is an expert in corporate investigations, disputes and risk issues, corporate governance and compliance, crisis management, and reputational issues.
Prior to joining Kroll, Brian was a director in a large independent, global risk consultancy, based in Mexico and later São Paulo, leading investigative and compliance projects throughout Latin America. His projects included investigations and anti-corruption reviews, risk assessments, anti-money laundering reviews, risk management planning and training, and crisis management. Prior to his consulting career, Brian was legal and financial manager for several investment and exploration businesses of a major Australian mining company in Latin America. In addition he has worked in corporate lending for a Canadian bank and its Argentine subsidiary, based in Buenos Aires and later Toronto, and has practiced as a corporate and commercial litigation lawyer in Toronto.
Brian is frequently asked to speak at conferences on anti-corruption, ethics, and risk management, and is a Certified Fraud Examiner as well as Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist.
- Business Intelligence and Due Diligence
Brian has managed a number of investigations for clients on their third parties, focusing on reputational, corruption, and money-laundering risks in advance of large transactions and new business relationships. In several recent projects, Brian has assisted clients in navigating the challenges of large-scale investments involving Mexico’s state-owned energy companies, analyzing the reputations and histories of the numerous parties involved in the investments, and identifying critical areas of U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and corruption risk.
- Fraud and Corruption Investigations
Brian regularly leads investigations for clients into fraud and corruption allegations, including forensic analysis of digital data and accounting records. Brian has led such investigations for clients in manufacturing, banking, engineering and construction, oil and gas, mining, and professional services. In one case, Brian and his team investigated years of mishandling of labor payments by senior Mexican management of an international supplier to the automotive industry, and provided evidence for filing criminal complaints.
- Anti-Corruption Reviews
Brian has conducted tailored reviews and investigations in advance of acquisitions to identify risks under the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, and other legislation regarding corruption of foreign officials. Brian has also conducted reviews of client operations for corruption risks in numerous sectors, including health, mining, transport and logistics, and finance.
- Anti-Money Laundering
Brian has conducted anti-money laundering reviews of financial institutions, from banks in Venezuela to money transmitters near the U.S.-Mexico border.
- Political and Security Assessments
Brian has led teams in providing political and security assessments and support for large investment projects as well as for ongoing operations throughout Latin America. The projects have assisted clients in understanding their key security and political risks and in developing measures to mitigate those risks. In one project, Brian and his team conducted an extensive desktop and on-the-ground assessment of a proposed renewable energy project in a remote and difficult part of Mexico. The findings of the study provided the international client with a basis for its negotiation with partners and a roadmap of the mitigating measures that would be necessary to minimize the security and social risks. Brian has also assisted clients in preparing for and dealing with crises, diminishing the impact on the clients, their personnel, and their reputations.
- “Mexico Energy Reform: Risk or Opportunity?,” Kroll White Paper, May 2015
- “Ciberseguridad, el desafío corporativo,” Reforma, Feb. 2015
- “Top Five Corporate Compliance Blunders,” Corporate Compliance Insights, Oct. 2012
- “Avoiding commercial, reputational and regulatory minefields with enhanced due diligence,” with Lisa Osofsky, International Bar Association Newsletter, Oct. 2008
Select Speaking Engagements
- “Mexico Energy Reform & The New Electrical Energy Market,” panel presentation to the Energy & Utilities Compliance & Ethics Conference, Houston, Feb. 2016
- “Corrupción y Fraude: Cómo impacta al Sector Financiero de Latinoamérica,” XXX Congreso Latinoamericano de Seguridad Bancaria, Panama, Oct. 2015
- “Managing investment challenges in Mexico”, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris, France, June 2015
- “Investigaciones internas: consideraciones, riesgos y estrategias,” Foro Latinoamericano – Auditores Internos 2015, Mexico, Mar. 2015
Education & Certifications
- J.D., University of Detroit Mercy
- International M.B.A., York University
- LL.B., University of Windsor
- B.A., University of Concordia
- Certified Fraud Examiner (ACFE)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (ACAMS)
Affiliations & Memberships
- Chairman, Commission for Business Intelligence and Risk Management, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Mexico Branch
- Member, Law Society of Upper Canada (licensed to practice law in Ontario)