Brian Lapidus is the Global Practice Leader for Kroll’s Identity Theft and Breach Notification practice, a division of Kroll’s Cyber Risk. Brian provides the strategic vision and management for this globally recognized organization, which helps clients and their advisors resolve myriad, complex data-related issues. From research and operation centers located in North America and Europe, Brian’s team facilitates the response for breach notification events ranging from those that impact a single individual to the most high-profile data breach on record, which affected nearly half-a-billon consumers worldwide. Most recently, Brian oversaw the market release of a proprietary dark web monitoring product, giving businesses of all sizes a window into their exposure on the dark web and expanding the role Kroll plays in proactive security.
Brian has more than two decades of diverse corporate experience with specific expertise in issues faced by clients in highly regulated industries such as healthcare, education and financial services in addition to hospitality, legal and professional services. Outside of his core leadership responsibilities, Brian focuses his expertise on establishing strategic partnerships with new technology solutions in the market, augmenting the professional services revenue of the organization with recurring revenue streams which round out an incident driven business. Brian sources these technology solutions or acquires them determining the most effective way to partner and create meaningful distribution practices. By bridging incident driven professional services revenue with Software as a Service (SaaS) platforms, Brian has helped evolve Kroll’s business model for the 21st century. Once these partnerships have been established, Brian leads the implementation of channel marketing and enhancing revenue generation for Kroll’s Cyber Risk product set.
While Brian has a proven track record in bringing-to-market commercial technology related to improving and managing Cyber Risk, it is his leadership style that has helped distinguish him and fuel his success. Brian combines the ingenuity, creativity and ambition of a Practitioner with the enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity of a Chief People Officer.
Under Brian’s leadership, the team has expanded from five Nashville-based employees to more than 100 technical, investigative, operational and product development staff globally. As the result of his ability to build a winning culture based on collaboration, Brian has set the tone for the organization. Accordingly, Brian’s practice was recognized as a “Leader” in the last two consecutive “Forrester Wave Report: Customer Data Breach Notification and Response Services”, with high ratings in several categories, including customer protection, customer experience, and client experience.
Prior to joining Kroll in 2003, Brian worked for a global management consulting firm where he focused on human performance and human capital improvement. Projects included restructuring the CIO office of the U.S. Department of the Treasury and overhauling of operations analyst training for a Fortune 500 bank.
Recognized as a global authority on data breach, identity theft, and next-generation technology, including artificial intelligence advancements, Brian is sought-after by top-tier media outlets, including:
- Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, “Identity Theft: Act Now to Protect Yourself” (April 4, 2019)
- Los Angeles Times, “The Case of the Disappearing Points: Do You Know Where Your Frequent-Flier Miles Are?” (June 4, 2018)
- US News & World Report, “10 Social Media Posts That Can Endanger Your Finances” (May 24, 2018)
- FOX 17 Nashville (broadcast), “Premier Parking "Malfunction" Raises Concerns over Data Stored in Public Pay Machines” (May 4, 2018)
- AARP, “ID Thieves Are Targeting Your Bank Accounts” (April 20, 2018)
- CNBC.com, “Russian Hackers May Be After Your Tax Refund — and More” (March 14, 2018)
- MarketWatch, “Fertility Clinic Hacked and Held for Ransom — Why Your Hospital Could Be Next” (December 6, 2017)
- Bloomberg News, “How to Protect Your Child From Identity Theft” (June 29, 2017)
- The Wall Street Journal, “How to Protect Against Tax-ID Theft” (March 3, 2017)
Recent Thought Leadership
Brian is a frequent contributor to the Kroll blog and has co-authored papers and articles, including:
- Brian Lapidus Featured in Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Identity Theft Article
- Mitigating Reputational Risk in Data Breach Response
- Scaling Cyber Supply Chain Risk Management with Dark Web Monitoring
- Training, Technology, and Tone From the Top: Remedies for Stemming Data Loss in Healthcare
Education and Certifications
M.B.A., Strategy and General Management, Vanderbilt University
B.A., Psychology and Business Administration, Washington University
Launching New Ventures – Executive Education Certificate, Harvard University
Affiliations and Memberships
Identity Theft Prevention and Identity Management Standards Panel (IDSP)
International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
Awards and Recognitions
- Data Systems Working Group, Mayor’s Office of Innovation, 2014
- Named “Top Forty Under 40” by Nashville Business Journal, 2013
Representative Speaking and Engagements
- Brian has been invited to present and moderate at several regional and national conferences, including the IBM IT Services Legal Summit, the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) Global Privacy Summit, Practical Privacy Series and Privacy Academies, Compliance Week and LegalTech.
Global Processes With Local Support Help a Canadian Company Manage a Data Breach
ALM Intelligence Pacesetter Research – Cybersecurity Services 2020
CVE-2020-1472 (Zerologon) Exploit Detection Cheat Sheet
Using Kroll CyberClarity360 Express to Meet Compliance Requirements
Kroll Cyber Risk Practice Announces New Hires to Fuel Global Expansion
Kroll Named a Cyber Security Services Pacesetter by ALM Intelligence
Mari DeGrazia Recognized as 2020 Woman of Distinction by the Girl Scouts of Greater New York
Kroll Recognized Among Top Managed Security Service Providers Worldwide by MSSP Alert