Ben Boorer is an associate managing director in the Forensic Investigations and Intelligence (FII) practice of Kroll, based in London. Ben specializes in financial investigations, particularly in fraud, corruption and asset recovery assignments, in the civil and criminal arenas. He has worked alongside not-for-profit organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), government bodies, corporates, law firms and law enforcement agencies.
Ben leads Kroll’s private prosecution offering which supports corporates and individuals in bringing criminal prosecutions against individuals suspected of committing financial crimes. This mechanism offers the victim a route to justice, a deterrent effect to ward off future criminal attacks and the potential for a recovery of value.
Ben is regularly involved in assignments that cross borders and require differing jurisdictional considerations. He has worked on investigations involving most European countries, the U.S., Ukraine, Kenya, Pakistan, Sudan, Central Asia and other offshore jurisdictions. Ben has either reported to, or worked with, the FCA, Serious Fraud Office (SFO), various UK police forces, Europol, the SEC, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Japanese Financial Services Agency.
In addition to reactive assignments, Ben has a broad experience of proactive assignments, which include red flag analysis, to determine where and how an organization may be susceptible to fraud. His experience also includes self-due diligence projects designed to identify and analyze reputational risks faced by an organization stemming from public allegations of illicit financial behavior.
Ben joined Kroll’s BII practice in 2019 from the Duff & Phelps Disputes team, which he joined in 2016, having had a previous stint at Kroll between 2012 and 2013.
Before joining Duff & Phelps, Ben’s previous positions include those at a cyber security firm, a mid-tier accounting firm and a Big Four accounting firm. Ben also spent two years on secondment at the SFO.
Fraud Investigation and Asset Recovery
- Provided external investigation support to a major retailer looking to counteract large scale online fraud. The investigation combined financial investigation, cyber analysis and open source tracing of individuals, to identify the pertinent individual, assess the scale of their operation, and preserve evidence for legal proceedings. Input into preventative controls was also provided.
- Unwinding of the dissipated proceeds of a USD 150 million Russian bank fraud. The proceeds were identified and traced around the world; the countries included Azerbaijan, Georgia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Russia, Seychelles, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine and the U.S.
- Reconstruction of the cash flows of a USD 20 billion Middle Eastern bank fraud which was discovered following an insolvency proceeding. The investigation required the identifying of the source of funds; analyzing of the validity of cash flows; and ascertaining the net position of the assets for the appointed liquidators.
- Provided external investigation support to a challenger lender being targeted by fraudsters obtaining unsecured loans and then defaulting on repayment
- Provided external investigation support to a major corporate, whose products were being used as a cover by scammers, who were placing random automated calls to members of the public to try and gain access to devices and personal data
- On-the-ground investigation on behalf of an EU entity minority shareholder into a Ukrainian entity amid concerns of the misappropriation of assets and the hiving off of business by management
- Investigation into insider fraud within the shipping department of an international business which included the investigation of the creation of ghost shipping agents, in order to defraud the company
- Investigation into a locum and temporary medical staffing agency, following allegations of systemic fraudulent overcharging practices, in relation to staff supplied to the National Health Scheme
- Investigation into the charging practices of maintenance and other third-party contractors providing services to a housing association
- Investigation into the overcharging of labor costs and materials by contractors during the construction of a new hospital
- Investigation into the collusion between the procurement manager, warehouse manager and external suppliers as to their roles within a multi-million-pound fraud against a furniture and home products retailer
Bribery and Corruption
- Conducted an internal bribery investigation within a property development company. The investigation also included an evaluation of the anti-bribery controls in place within the organization
- Long-term assignment on site at the Serious Fraud Office, investigating breaches of UN sanctions in relation to the bribing of foreign officials by British companies
Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing
- Investigation into a global charity accused of supporting terrorism, including substantial document review, business intelligence work and on-the-ground investigations in Sudan, Pakistan and Kenya
- Investigation into allegations of LIBOR rigging by a panel bank. Worked with the in-house legal team and external legal advisers to coordinate the response to regulators from the U.S., UK and the Far East
Self-Due Diligence and Reputational Audits
- Conducted self-due diligence into an Eastern European investment advisory and asset management company which was caught in a black public relations (PR) campaign. This PR campaign was causing due diligence and KYC-related issues in relation to its trading counterparts
Employee Misconduct and Corporate Governance
- Review of the governance structure of a global charity, on behalf of a state donor
- Investigation within an international NGO concerning allegations of nepotism and circumvention of their recruitment process at a senior level
- Investigation within an international NGO regarding allegations of bullying and harassment against a senior member of staff
- Spent two months working within the Department of Health assisting with the review and implementation of financial governance policies
- Provided training to clients on whistleblowing policies and associated statutes, namely the Public Interest Disclosure Act
Certifications and Memberships
- Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Member of the Private Prosecutor’s Association