Anson has over 15 years of experience in corporate and individual insolvency, receiverships, schemes of arrangement, financial review and investigations across numerous jurisdictions including Hong Kong, PRC, Singapore, Cayman Islands and BVI.
Anson’s recent work includes investigating, locating and securing hidden assets, investigating and litigating fraudulent transactions and payments in liquidation and bankruptcy, undertaking independent forensic investigations in respect of substantial suspicious payments and irregular transactions and solvency analysis in legal proceedings, reviewing financial documents to undertake analysis and valuations in contested divorce proceedings and shareholder disputes.
Anson has worked in our BVI office including with securing and realising assets of hedge funds during the 2008 Global Financial Crisis and taking control of BVI companies in receivership with international assets.
Professional Affiliations and Academic Qualifications
- Registered Appointment Taker with the Official Receiver's Office in Hong Kong
- Specialist Designation in Insolvency, SD (Insolvency), awarded by the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Public Accountant, the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Chartered Accountant, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Member of the Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty of the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Accounting, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Bachelor of Economics and Finance, The University of Hong Kong
- Asset Tracing and Realisation
- Expert Testimony
- Forensic Accounting
- Investigation of Fraudulent Transactions
- Shareholder Disputes and Valuation
- Solvency Analysis
- Appointed Joint and Several Liquidator of a Hong Kong-based cryptocurrency exchange. Key aspects of our work include identifying, securing and realising crypto-assets, including Bitcoin and Ethereum tokens. This is the first liquidation of a cryptocurrency exchange in Hong Kong.
- Appointed Joint and Several Liquidator of the Hong Kong subsidiaries of a US Group which engaged in the manufacturing of wax and paper flowers and silk wreaths and employed 200 workers.
- Appointed Joint and Several Liquidator of a group of companies owning and operating co-working space at various prime locations in Hong Kong. This is likely the first liquidation of co-working space in Hong Kong.
- Appointed Joint Liquidator of a BVI company which principal trading activity was the sale of certain mineral products with cash and assets totalling US$61 million. The liquidation of the company originated from a shareholder dispute resulting in a longstanding deadlock of the company’s business and operation.
- Appointed Joint and Several Bankruptcy Trustee of an established businessman who beneficially owned business and assets of over HK$100 million shortly prior to the commencement of his bankruptcy. Our work included investigations of voidable transactions and dissipation of assets with intent to default creditors.
Forensic Accounting, Expert Witness and Litigation Support
- Expert work engaged by the Hong Kong Department of Justice in criminal proceedings against ten individuals accused with charges of dealing with proceeds known or believed to represent proceeds of money laundering. Prepared expert reports examining the transactions and fund flows for approximately HKD5 billion; and assisting the prosecution’s chief expert witness in an approximately 60 days trial. All defendants have been convicted.
- Expert work in relation to the legal proceedings commenced by the Liquidators of one of the largest corporate collapses in Australia. Our work included reconstructing the accounts and establishing the assets and their realisation value, the liabilities and their due dates, investigation in respect of unauthorised payments, manipulation of accounts, and assessment of the solvency or insolvency of the companies at specified dates. Document discovery included audit work papers of an international audit firm.
- Independent Accountant instructed by a stakeholder of a non profit making organisation to prepare a report in response to various allegations made by another stakeholder of the organisation associated with the organisation’s operation and governance.
- Expert work engaged by the Defendants in a legal proceedings in Australia, who conducted business selling men’s and women’s luxury fashion items, for damages of approximately AUD62 million claimed by the Plaintiff resulting from the contracts entered into between the Plaintiff and the Defendants for developing the business. Our work included valuing the business (comprising 20 stores in Hong Kong, Macao and China selling luxury fashion items) and calculating the fees due by the Defendants to the Plaintiff as at various relevant dates.
- Independent review of a Company applying to be listed on an international stock exchange. Our work included assessing whether there is any side agreement between the group of companies and its customers and reporting our findings and observations to the sponsor of the Company.
- Single joint expert work to value a company which is a major supplier of several food chain stores in Hong Kong. As a result of ongoing shareholder dispute, a petition to wind-up the company was filed by one of its shareholders. The Court ordered that both parties file a joint expert report to value the company as if the company is sold as going concern.
- Appointed independent accountant by a businessman to ascertain the value of a company which is engaged in the direct marketing of essential oil. The company was jointly owned by him and his wife who intended to commence divorce proceedings against him.