Life Sciences Webcast Series
Kroll recently hosted a webcast series that brought together our leading experts and industry leaders to share insights on trends, valuation, technology, intellectual property (IP), risk and regulation in the life sciences industry. Please see below for more details on each session and a link to the event replays.
Key Insights and Trends
As big pharma and biotech conglomerates continue to seek growth following the COVID-19 pandemic, our experts provide insights on what will shape the future of the life sciences industry and dissect the key drivers of M&A activity.
- Deal trends and investment opportunities
- Digitalization and remote engagement in healthcare
- The importance of environmental, social, and corporate governance (ESG)
- Andreas Chrysostomou, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Brooks Dexter, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Andrew Probert, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- James D’Arecca, Chief Financial Officer, TherapeuticsMD
Biotechnology Purchase Accounting Valuation
Purchase accounting valuation in the biotechnology industry can be particularly challenging. Understanding the intricacies of biotechnology valuation and having command best practices is key to successfully navigating the valuation process for all stakeholders. Duff & Phelps’ Life Sciences valuation advisory team walk you through a purchase price allocation for a hypothetical biotechnology company based on real world experience.
- Key considerations and intricacies regarding unit of account decisions in product/product candidate valuation.
- Unique inventory valuation considerations in biotechnology acquisitions
- Valuation of biotechnology collaborations/licensing arrangements
- Contingent liability and contingent consideration valuation
- Navigating the audit process and documentation
- Andreas Chrysostomou, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Jonathan Goldblatt, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Frank Deluca, Director, Duff & Phelps
- David Nadel, Director, Duff & Phelps
The Impact of Technology
Technology continues to impact the relationship between businesses and their stakeholders, with data exchange, digital service provision and innovation all driving discussion. Our panel of experts address data-driven approaches to patient care, the impact of technology on regulation, and IP, data privacy and cyber security issues in the healthcare and life sciences industry.
- Using technology to analyze data and provide better patient care
- The impact of regulation on the modernization of compliance programs
- Safeguarding IP with privacy, cyber and IT procedures
- Balancing data privacy, cyber and the efficient exchange of patient data
- Protecting assets against cyber-attacks and unforced errors
- Alpa Kamdar, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Stacy Scott, Managing Director, Kroll
Intellectual Property – Management, Protection and Enforcement
Our panel of leading attorneys discuss current issues facing the life sciences industry with respect to the management, protection and enforcement of IP rights in the UK, Europe and the U.S.
- Cross-border challenges
- The UK and Europe post Brexit
- The International Trade Commission
- The impact of biosimilars on the IP landscape
- Pauline Booth, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps
- Barbara Fiacco, Partner, Foley Hoag
- Dr. Penny Gilbert, Partner, Powell Gilbert LLP, London
- PJ McCarthy, Partner, Goodwin
The Role of Regulation
Chris Campbell, Chief Strategist at Kroll, Michael Kiely, President of U.S. Government Affairs at UPS and John Selib, Senior Vice President, Global Policy & Public Affairs at Pfizer, sat down for a fireside chat on the impact of regulation on the life sciences industry as well as emerging hot topics.
- Will regulators be globally aligned?
- ESG Regulation under the Biden Administration
- Is there potential for industry and regulators to work closely in sharing ‘real-time’ data
- Critical emerging trends and hot topics
- Chris Campbell, Chief Strategist, Kroll
- John Selib, Senior Vice President, Global Policy & Public Affairs, Pfizers
- Michael Kiely, President of U.S. Government Affairs, UPS
Navigating the Elevated Risk Environment
This discussion provides insights on how the post-COVID-19 environment is challenging for the pharmaceutical and medical device industries. The increased public scrutiny and rapid development of and changes to these industries over the past year amplifies existing operational risks. Our panel of experts addressed evolving risks challenging life sciences global supply chains, including around price gouging rules, how to identify risk exposure and navigate the complex regulatory landscape.
- Developing strategies that de-risk businesses and operating models
- Overview of various U.S. and a selection of other government policies and actions impacting the life science’s global supply chains, including for example, price gouging rules
- Anticipating and addressing increased costs of compliance
- Strengthening procedures around risk management
- Roeland Van Aelst, EMEA Lead Third Party Intermediary Ethics & Compliance, Johnson & Johnson
- John Ingrassia, Senior Counsel, Proskauer Rose LLP
- Tasneem Azad, Managing Director, Duff & Phelps, a Kroll Business
- Daniel Hartnett, Associate Managing Director, Kroll
Valuation and consulting for financial reporting, federal, state and local tax, investment and risk management purposes.
Comprehensive support throughout mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Compliance Risk and Diligence
Complying with anti-money laundering and anti-bribery and corruption regulations.
Business Intelligence and Investigations
Providing clients with global investigative expertise to help make critical decisions and mitigate risk.
Transaction Advisory Services
Seamless analytical advisory through the deal continuum, from transaction origination to closing.
Global, end-to-end cyber risk solutions.
Security Risk Management
Helping clients anticipate/respond to a myriad of facility, operational and employee security challenges.
Financial Services Compliance and Regulation
Local and global compliance expertise for the financial services industry.
Independent expert analysis, testimony, advice and investigations for complex disputes and projects.