Kroll, in association with Legal Week, recently surveyed 86 general counsels to find out how companies are prepared to deal with insider threats to their confidential data.
Key findings include:
- Three in four businesses suffering a breach had their data leaked by employees and third-party vendors.
- Over half of all data breaches occur by accident.
- Seventy five percent of breaches resulted from using workplace hardware or data outside the office environment.
- External campaign groups are more feared than vendors even though vendors originated more breaches.
- A third of businesses contract without provisions for how to proceed in the event of a confidential data breach.