As companies attempt to navigate unchartered waters, state and local taxing jurisdictions are balancing the need to raise revenue while remaining sympathetic to the economic toll COVID-19 has imposed on its constituents.
Join Duff & Phelps' Sales and Use Tax specialists along with Jones Day and the University of Illinois College of Law for a webcast addressing sales tax strategies that every company should consider to favorably resolve audits and VDAs and expedite refunds. Panelists will discuss various stances taken by auditors amid the current emergency declarations, options companies can avail themselves to settle disputes, and how and when to assert their taxpayer's rights.
Schedule: 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (ET)
- State of the states today: an overview of the various tax relief efforts
- Negotiation strategies at the audit level and beyond
- Precedence setting case law and administrative guidance limiting states’ aggressive audit practices and legislative overreach
- Determining the landscape for periods beyond the current economic crisis
- Robert Peters, Managing Director, Sales and Use Tax, Duff & Phelps
- Keela Ross, Director, Sales and Use Tax, Duff & Phelps
- Jennifer Waryjas, Senior Associate, State Tax, Jones Day
- Michelle Layser, Assistant Professor of Law, University of Illinois, College of Law