Lynn Correia is associate managing director in Kroll’s Toronto office. Lynn has more than 10 years of experience in forensic and investigative accounting across a wide range of assignments, including corporate fraud, internal investigations and intellectual property disputes for law firms, corporations, government agencies, public inquiries and litigation support matters.
Lynn joined Kroll from an international consulting firm where she most recently served as an Associate Director in the Disputes and Investigations practice. During this time Lynn was involved in a number of financial investigations for public and private institutions, including the Government of Canada. She began her career at a boutique accounting firm in Toronto.
Lynn has spoken at several venues on investigative accounting techniques.
- Government Investigations
Lynn was part of an investigative team assigned to the Commission of Inquiry Program and Advertising Activities of the Government of Canada to examine allegations raised by the Auditor General of Canada in regard to the management of $355 million by the Public Works and Government Services Canada.
- Internal Investigations
On behalf of an international brokerage firm, Lynn performed an investigation into the source behind a large debt owed by one of its clients. Lynn managed key aspects of the internal investigation, including reviewing the policies and procedures of the firm, interviewing staff and ultimately interviewing the executive team. The result was the compilation of a report required by the industry’s overseeing body.
- Financial Investigations
Lynn managed an investigation of an alleged loan fraud against a large financial institution. She oversaw the financial investigation, analyzed loans, reported findings and assisted counsel in preparing document briefs for their civil remediations for asset recovery.
- Intellectual Property Dispute
Lynn was involved in an eight-yearlong investigation for a pharmaceutical company into the quantification of losses for an intellectual property dispute. Lynn conducted interviews of the staff, assisted the general counsel in preparation for examination and prepared materials to be used in mediation/ settlement meetings.
Lynn has managed and conducted several compliance-related initiatives for a national pension plan board. The initiatives included conducting reviews of the processes and practices used by the participating employers of the Pension Board and of the pensionable earnings amounts reported by the participating employers to ensure they were in compliance with the pension plan regulations. As part of the process reviews, Lynn conducted interviews of the participants’ employees, reviewed documents related to processes and practices of the participating employers, and reviewed earnings reported to the Pension Board. A summary of findings was presented to the Pension Board, which was then used by the Pension Board to report compliance-related issues to the employer participants.
Education & Certifications
- Specialist in Investigative and Forensic Accounting (CA•IFA), Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Diploma in Investigative and Forensic Accounting, Rotman School of Management
- Chartered Professional Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ontario, Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Masters of Accounting, Waterloo University
- Bachelor of Arts, Waterloo University
- “When in Rome, investigate as Romans”, The Lawyers Weekly, August 17, 2012
Teachings & Presentations
- “Corporate Social Responsibility or Corporate Embarrassment: Monitoring Your CSR Projects”, MineAfrica, The 8th Risk Mitigation & CSR Seminar Report, October 2012
- “Strategizing, Strengthening and Advocating Legal Positions through Effective Analysis and Use of Financial Statements”, The Canadian Institute, June 2010
- Bennet Jones LLP’s Mock Trial Program (forensic accountant expert), Toronto, 2010
- “Understanding Financial Statements”, The Bank of Montreal, 2009
- Osgoode Hall Masters of Law (LLM) Advanced Trial Advocacy Program: “A Civil Action – Mock Trial Proceedings”, (forensic accounting expert) 2009 and 2007