Kroll Associates, Inc.
1707 L Street NW, Suite 700
Nicole Y. Lamb-Hale is a Managing Director in Kroll’s Investigations and Disputes practice, based in the Washington, D.C. office. Nicole has more than two decades of executive-level experience and a unique viewpoint on global commercial and compliance matters from her extensive service in both the public and private sectors. In addition to serving as an Assistant Secretary and Deputy General Counsel at the U.S. Department of Commerce, where she led numerous international trade missions, Nicole has built a distinguished career as a strategic advisor and practicing attorney with top-tier international U.S. advisory and law firms.
Nicole joined Kroll from the Albright Stonebridge Group, a premier global strategic advisory and commercial diplomacy firm, where she was Senior Vice President since 2013. Nicole focused on helping clients navigate the interplay between their global business objectives and the commercial, legislative, regulatory, and political environments of foreign markets.
Prior to this role, Nicole served as Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Manufacturing and Services, U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration. Unanimously confirmed for this position by the U.S. Senate, Nicole focused on developing U.S. trade policy and negotiating with senior foreign government officials on legislative and regulatory issues impacting market access; working with companies to achieve their commercial goals in international markets; and leading U.S. business delegations on international trade missions to nations that included Brazil, Chile, China, India, and Saudi Arabia. In this role, she also led the Commerce Department’s participation on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). She joined the Commerce Department in 2009, serving as Deputy General Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel.
Prior to her government service, Nicole was a highly regarded attorney who served in senior-level client service and management roles with two international law firms. From 2006–2009, she was the Managing Partner of Foley & Lardner’s Detroit office, where she regularly provided legal advice to executive management and boards of directors of corporate clients in significant business transactions, including complex financial restructurings. In her leadership role for the Detroit office, she was also responsible for business generation as well as recruiting and professional development initiatives. She began her law career in 1991 with the law firm of Dykema Gossett PLLC, where she ultimately served as Chair of the Bankruptcy Practice Group, specializing in bankruptcy law, creditors’ rights, business reorganizations, and public finance transactions.
In September 2016, Howard University’s Gwendolyn S. and Colbert I. King Endowed Chair in Public Policy Lecture Series inaugurated Nicole as Holder of the Chair for the 2016-2017 academic year.
Selected International Trade Missions
- Renewable Energy Trade Policy Mission, Chile.
- U.S. China Investment Forum, China.
- Clean Energy Trade Mission, Saudi Arabia.
- Export Green Trade Mission, Brazil.
- Franchising Trade Mission, India.
Selected Congressional Testimony
- U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade: “National Travel and Tourism Strategy and Progress of the Corporation for Travel Promotion.”
- U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade: “Internet Privacy: The Impact and Burden of EU Regulation.”
- U.S. Senate Committee on Finance, Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs and Global Competitiveness: “Doubling U.S. Exports: Are U.S. Sea Ports Ready for the Challenge?”
- U.S. Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs, Subcommittee on Economic Policy: “The Obama Administration Manufacturing Agenda.”
Education & Certifications
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- B.A., Political Science, University of Michigan Honors College
- Admitted to Michigan State Bar
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Holder of the Chair, The Gwendolyn S. and Colbert I. King Endowed Chair in Public Policy Lecture Series, Howard University
- National Alliance for Jobs and Innovation, Chair of the Board of Directors
- Council on Foreign Relations
- The Holton-Arms School, Board of Trustees