Shabolovka Str. 2, Floor 2, Office 2
Mikhail Lastovskiy is the Head of Kroll’s Russia & CIS Financial Investigations practice, based in the Moscow office. Mikhail is a Certified Fraud Examiner and specialises in fraud and corruption investigations, dispute resolution projects, and forensic accounting.
Mikhail’s professional career spans over 14 years and includes a broad range of investigative experience in forensic accounting, fraudrelated interviewing, ediscovery, data analytics, and forensic auditing. His clients include large multinationals, financial institutions and law firms.
Before joining Kroll in 2015, Mikhail was a Director in KPMG’s Forensic Practice, where he oversaw investigations in Russia and the CIS region. Prior to that, he worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers for seven years, including a two-year secondment in New York in the Forensic Services Practice.
- Led multiple fraud investigations for a major automotive company in Central and Eastern Europe. Investigated asset misappropriation, conflicts of interest, and related-party transactions.
- Directed an investigation into a complex corruption scheme that had been affecting a major construction project in Russia on behalf of a construction materials company.
- Managed a country-level compliance audit for a global telecommunications company undergoing a three-year monitorship under a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the US Department of Justice.
- Supported an investigation into the embezzlement of assets in a major mining company operating in Kazakhstan. Conducted fraud-related interviews.
- Led an anti-corruption due diligence investigation for a large US technology company contemplating a merger.
- Headed an international Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation for a Global Fortune 100 company in the food and beverage industry.
- Led a fraud and corruption risk assessment for a US company operating in Russia.
- Supported a dispute analysis/damages calculation for a European aviation distributor controlled by a US aviation production company.
- Supported an insurance business interruption claims preparation project for a global oil and gas company.
- Led an international regulatory investigation of a European subsidiary of a US multi-national company. The subsidiary had used inappropriate, grey, and potentially illegal schemes. The investigation resulted in the reporting of findings to the audit committee of the company and appropriate remedial measures.
- Led pre-deal FCPA due diligence projects related to a Russian geophysical company on behalf of a major oil services corporation with worldwide operations.
- Managed pre-deal FCPA due diligence projects related to a Russian oil services company on behalf of a major oil services corporation with worldwide operations.
- Led pre-deal FCPA due diligence projects related to a Russian public relations (PR) agency on behalf of the acquirer, a leading worldwide PR agency.
- Participated in several post-transaction investigations, which involved interviewing personnel and analysing accounting books and records to identify specific transactions and other activities, such as inappropriate payments to government officials.
- Participated in an Anti-Money Laundering review of a German bank operating in Russia. Led the work on designing and implementing a system of search criteria for suspicious transactions, which subsequently generated valuable transaction reports.
- Headed a forensic investigation team in the Russian Far East in a matter involving the misappropriation of approximately $1 million. The resulting report was used to initiate civil proceedings to recover the loss, and as a basis to initiate an insurance claim.
- Led a forensic review of a not-for-profit organisation, a boarding school for orphans and refugee children operating in Russia.
- Managed a forensic review of a Russian subsidiary of a global travel company.
- Led a forensic review of a major construction mega-malls operator working in Russia under trademark and with the financial support of a publicly listed European company.
- Devised and led a number of FCPA training programmes for employees of a major oil and gas services corporation with worldwide operations.
Education & Certifications
- MA, Economics, Higher School of Economics (Russia)
- BA, Economics, Higher School of Economics, Moscow (Russia)
- Certified Fraud Examiner, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (2009)
- Certified Management Accountant, Institute of Management Accountants (2005)
Membership & Affilications
- Member of the Anti-Corruption Working Group, an expert council under the Open Government project
- English – Fluent
- Russian – Fluent
- Ukrainian – Upper Intermediate
- French – Basic