Kroll Associates UK
Nexus Place, 25 Farringdon Street
Since joining Kroll in 1981, Tommy Helsby has been at the heart of the firm’s growth from a single office in New York to more than 35 offices around the world. In his first ten years, in the New York office, he helped found and develop the firm’s core due diligence business, and managed many of the corporate contest projects for which Kroll became well known in the 1980s. He has been based in the London office since 1991, becoming European Chairman in 1999 and Chairman in 2010.
Tommy was instrumental in building the firm’s substantial business in Russia and the CIS and has developed good relationships with many of the major players in that part of the world. More recently, he has focused on India and Africa, but is very active throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. He plays a strategic role both for the firm and in advising many of its key clients, both in dispute work and in corporate transactions, drawing on his long experience of both sides of Kroll’s consulting services. He has established a particular niche in reputation-related engagements, particularly on behalf of entrepreneurial clients from emerging markets whose antecedents and track record lack the transparency which Western markets expect.
Tommy is a regular commentator in both broadcast and printed media, and has published articles in national newspapers and trade journals such as Acquisitions Monthly, Mining Journal and Legal Strategy Review. He is also a regular speaker at conferences and seminars, most recently on the impact of increased regulation and effective compliance strategies.
- Corporate Investigations. Tommy’s vast expertise include corporate disputes, corporate crisis management, reputational audits, pre-acquisition analysis, fraud investigations, complex litigation matters involving cross border issues, asset searches and hostile takeovers.
- Due Diligence. During the 1980s, Tommy was instrumental in establishing Kroll’s due diligence and corporate contest practices in New York.
- Reputation Management. Tommy has counseled clients facing reputation challenges stemming from current or historical problems, helping develop strategies to present independent, objective facts and context to address their problems.
Education & Certification
- BA and MA in Mathematics and Philosophy, University of Cambridge
- Trustee, Asia House, the London-based think tank on European-Asia trade and investment
- Advisory Board Member, Gemcorp, an emerging market credit investment fund
- Director (former Chairman), Editorial Intelligience