Robert Addona is an Associate Managing Director in Kroll’s Business Intelligence and Investigations practice, based in the New York office. He joined Kroll in 2007 after a distinguished 20-year career with the New York City Police Department (NYPD), retiring as a Second Grade Detective. At Kroll, Robert is involved in coordinating all aspects of field investigations and works on many corporate investigations involving matters of internal theft and threats against persons and property.
Robert gained broad experience and served in numerous positions within the NYPD Detective Bureau, overseeing security matters and criminal investigations. He was assigned for seven years as an investigator with the John F. Kennedy Airport Narcotics Smuggling Unit, a federal task force comprised of New York City Detectives and United States Customs Agents. In this position, he conducted complex investigations involving international narcotics smuggling into the United States, and was responsible for the arrest and conviction of hundreds of narcotics smugglers.
After the September 11th attacks in New York City, Robert was assigned to the NYPD Counter Terrorism Division’s Threat Reduction Infrastructure Protection Section (TRIPS). In this position, he was responsible for the post-9/11 oversight of risk assessment for locations identified by the NYPD as being critical to the city’s infrastructure. His duties included conducting security surveys; preparing threat and risk assessments; and providing security solutions for international, federal, and local government facilities.
Robert was also assigned to the NYPD Special Projects Unit, where he worked closely with all levels of federal, state, and city governments to ensure the safety of dignitaries and the public. His projects included assisting in the development of perimeter security designs for high-profile venues, including the 2004 Republican National Convention at Madison Square Garden, Yankee Stadium, and the United Nations General Assembly. Robert’s responsibilities included providing training to members of the NYPD regarding the deployment of force protection equipment designed to protect these high-profile venues.
Robert has extensive experience in conducting all facets of investigations, including interviews, interrogations, surveillance, undercover operations, court testimony, cultivating confidential informants/human intelligence, and evidence collection. Robert has testified in numerous court proceedings at the state and federal levels during his tenure with the NYPD and at Kroll. These proceedings include evidentiary hearings, grand jury proceedings, and trials.
Robert has provided close protection for high-net-worth individuals and corporate executives in both the United States and abroad, during travel and high-profile events.
Through his work with the NYPD Counter Terrorism Division, Robert has been trained as a physical security specialist. He has vast experience in the preparation of security, threat, and vulnerability assessments.
Travel Risk Management
Robert is a member of Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC), and has received training in travel security. He has provided security assessments for locations where Kroll clients travel for business.
Education & Certifications
- Graduate of the New York City Police Department Police Academy
- Sandia National Laboratories, Design and Evaluation of Physical Protection Systems (PPS)
- John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Security Management Institute
- Weapons of Mass Destruction Transportation Security/ Anti-Terrorism Training Program
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Physical Security Training Program; Research and Development Center, Bridge and Tunnel Vulnerability; Blast Effects and Mitigation of Structures
- New Mexico Tech Energetic Research and Testing Center, Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings Technical Operations
- NYPD Basic Methods of Security Course
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), Physical Security Training Program, Critical Infrastructure Protection Course, Weapons of Mass Destruction and Transportation Security Anti-Terrorism Course
- Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device Checkpoint Course