Calle 67 No. 7-35, Torre C Piso 6
Recaredo Romero is Kroll’s regional managing director for Latin America.
He has management responsibility for Kroll’s offices in Miami, São Paulo,
Mexico D.F., Bogotá, Buenos Aires and St. George’s (Grenada).
With more than 15 years of investigative and risk management experience,
Recaredo assists clients to mitigate a wide range of fraud and corruption
risks and to respond to compliance breaches and integrity incidents;
he also provides extensive dispute advisory support. Recaredo has led
diverse engagements advising clients on pre-transaction due diligence
and compliance programs. In addition, he has managed and executed
numerous cross-border investigations on commercial bribery, FCPA
violations and corporate misconduct for local and international clients,
often working closely with external legal counsel.
Recaredo joined Kroll from a leading risk consultancy where he served
as practice leader of the Corporate Investigations Group. In this role, he
oversaw all investigative work across the Andean region and led complex
investigations for local and international clients. He also has significant
expertise in political risk analysis and has consulted extensively to the
public and private sector.
Latin America media outlets regularly seek Recaredo’s perspectives
on fraud, corruption and integrity issues. He has also served as a guest
speaker on a number of topics for various investment and professional groups.
- Corporate Investigations. Recaredo managed a high-profile investigation into the embezzlement of funds from an international financial institution in Colombia. The complex investigation involved forensic accounting, IT forensics and handwriting analysis. The conclusion of the investigation identified the perpetrator, and quantified the assets lost.
- Due Diligence Investigations. Recaredo conducted an FCPA due diligence program for a U.S. oil company conducting business in the Andean Region. The subjects of the investigation ranged from investment targets to consultants, employees and prospective business partners.
- Business Intelligence. Recaredo led a complex business intelligence investigation into the competitors of a foreign engineering company operating in Ecuador. The assignment entailed investigating whether the competitors were engaging in a campaign to damage the client’s reputation. The finding proved that the rivals were not involved in any coordinated actions, which helped the client prepare a strategic protection plan.
- Fraud Prevention. Recaredo conducted a long-term fraud prevention project for a Colombian bank where he managed a team embedded in the client’s security department and attended the firm’s Anti-Fraud Committee meetings.
- Anti-Money Laundering. Recaredo reviewed the money laundering / FCPA prevention programs of three South American banks for a foreign financial institution interested in doing business with one or more of the institutions. The review involved an evaluation of the existing controls and a plan for bringing those controls up to international standards.
Education & Certification
- London Guildhall University, London, UK, M.A. in International and Comparative Business Law
- University of Valladolid, Spain, J.D.
- Fluent in Spanish and English and working knowledge of French