Kroll Associates UK
Nexus Place, 25 Farringdon Street
Oliver Stern is an Associate Managing Director in Kroll’s Business Intelligence and Investigations practice, based in the London office. Oliver specializes in sub-Saharan Africa. He leads a wide range of investigations for corporations and financial institutions and their advisers, including pre-transactional due diligence, background investigations, market entry studies, internal corruption and bribery investigations, forensic accounting, compliance-driven third-party screenings, and asset traces.
Oliver joined Kroll in February 2016 after three and a half years working for the multinational mining company Anglo American on its London-based Strategy and Business Development team. He is a country risk and business environment specialist with extensive international experience, including three years living and working in Mozambique.
- Whilst with Anglo American, Oliver was responsible for identifying non-technical risks in prospective investment destinations, focusing on the ease of doing business, security of tenure, operational security, and reputational risk.
- Oliver has managed in-country intelligence gathering assignments and relationship building with a range of private, civil society, and public sector stakeholders. He has helped clients design risk mitigation strategies to support successful investments in new countries and jurisdictions.
- He has government relations and development policy expertise, with experience in Central, East and Southern Africa, as well as China, India, Indonesia, Mongolia, Papua New Guinea, and Serbia.
- Whilst working for the UK Department for International Development (DFID), Oliver managed the relationships and funding mechanisms associated with implementing a £5 million UK Government programme to support the Mozambican Government’s transport system.
- Oliver served as an adviser/consultant in the office of the Mozambique Minister of Transport, where he was responsible for preparing compelling business cases for DFID interventions, including a programme to support Mozambique’s engagement with the resource extraction industry.
Education and Certifications
- MSc, Politics of the World Economy, London School of Economics and Political Science
- BA 1ST Class (Hons), School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
Affiliations and Membership
- Overseas Development Institute Fellow