John Arvanitis is a Managing Director in the Compliance Risk and Diligence practice of Kroll, a division of Duff & Phelps, based in the Boston Office. John advises clients worldwide on anti-money laundering matters and other aspects of compliance programs, bringing impactful and valuable insight to their challenges via his extensive international and domestic financial investigative experience. He has significant experience across a broad range of compliance-related programs, including anti-money laundering, know your customer, global AML processes, and program and policy formation.
John joined Kroll after a distinguished 27-year career with the U.S. Justice Department, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). John had most recently served as Special Agent in Charge of the New England Field Division as a Senior Executive Service member. In his time with the DEA, he developed and led numerous initiatives focusing on disrupting and dismantling transnational organized crime syndicates, with an emphasis on their money laundering and other finance-related activities.
Prior to his most recent role, John had served as the Chief of Global Financial Operations for DEA, where he was responsible for directing, overseeing, and augmenting all of DEA’s financial objectives and strategies as they related to criminal investigations of high-level organizations and their members operating throughout the world. In this capacity, John also was in charge of administering all anti-money laundering and threat finance-related training to the private and regulatory sector as well as to members of the international financial and law enforcement community. As a result, John has successfully built relationships with industry leaders and international partners throughout the world. Additionally in this position, John was responsible for representing DEA within the interagency community as it related to the coordination and implementation of U.S. government sanctions, specifically OFAC and other U.S. Treasury measures targeting global drug trafficking organizations, and the development of national and international anti-money laundering strategies and policies.
- Directed strategic and tactical enforcement programs, actions task forces, and a $12 million budget involved in the targeting of global narcotics trafficking organizations and their illicit proceeds.
- Oversaw financial enforcement programs and a $22 million budget for global money laundering and threat finance programs, actions, and task forces.
- Provided strategic briefings and guidance on money laundering and threat finance to DEA executive leadership and staff, members of Congress, Department of Justice (DOJ), financial institutions, and community leaders.
- Advises financial institutions and global multinational clients on a comprehensive risk-based approach relating to AML, threat finance, and FCPA matters and strategies.
- Reviews internal policies and procedures existing within an organization to ensure compliance with established requirements relating to AML and FCPA.
- Engages internal stakeholders regarding risk identified in their organizations and their risk-based approach to develop a strategic perspective geared toward the mitigation of risk.
- Develops, implements, and monitors compliance solutions that meet legal and regulatory requirements that impact financial institutions and multinational corporations.
- Provides insight regarding best practices and solutions based on extensive international and domestic experience.
Education and Certifications
- Harvard University/JFK School of Government, Managing People for Maximum Performance
- B.S., Criminal Justice, Northeastern University (Boston)
- Drug Enforcement Administration – Basic Agent Academy, Marine Corps Base Quantico
- University of Virginia, Federal Executive Institute
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Global Anti-Money Laundering Processes
- Global Transaction Monitoring
- Global Investigations and Compliance
- Global Risk and Trend Assessment Analysis
- Global Anti-Money Laundering and Compliance Training
- Strategic Planning
- Policy and Program Formulation
- Due Diligence and Third Party Due Diligence
- Know Your Customer
- OFAC and International Sanctions
Selected Speaking Engagements
- 2nd Annual International Money Laundering Symposium
- New York Financial Regulations and Enforcement Symposium
- International Money Laundering Conference
- International Drug Enforcement Conference, DEA Money Laundering
- Southwest Border Anti-Money Laundering Alliance Conference
- U.S./Mexico Money Laundering Conference
- DEA Global Money Laundering Conference
- U.S./Russian Money Laundering Working Group
- International Association of Chiefs of Police