Kroll Associates (Asia)
1701 Central Plaza, 18 Harbour Road
David Liu is Head of Asia Pacific for the Compliance Risk and Diligence practice of Kroll, a division of Duff & Phelps, and Head of the firm’s Hong Kong office. David works with financial institutions, global and regional corporations and financial technology firms across the region to manage a wide array of risks and to help comply with anti-money laundering (AML) and anti-bribery and anti-corruption regulations. David also supports established and startup companies in navigating the rapidly evolving regulatory landscape surrounding blockchain and cryptocurrencies.
David joined Kroll from the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), the preeminent global research and analysis division of The Economist Group. As leader of EIU’s consulting business in Asia Pacific, David was responsible for driving growth, focused on helping financial institutions, sovereign wealth funds, multinationals and various government agencies to navigate and mitigate a wide range of economic, regulatory, political, industry, operational and financial risks.
Previously, David had managed Kroll’s Background and Capital Intelligence business in Asia Pacific. David’s experience has also included managing the business and operational risks for a venture-backed technology company in China focused on mobile payments and transactions, where he spearheaded key partnerships with telecom leaders, including China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom. Before that, David managed institutional banking partnerships at one of the top global financial institutions, where he worked extensively with clients that included Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citibank, Morgan Stanley, Wells Fargo and Deutsche Bank.
- Key advisor for fintech and regtech accelerators. Supports institutional firms, startup companies and various exchanges regarding compliance, including KYC, AML and regulatory requirements.
- Managed IPO diligence for global and regional banks focused on anti-corruption, AML and sanctions requirements for projects totaling just under 70% of all proceeds raised on the main board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong (HKEx) for 2016-2017 (total proceeds raised: ~US$40 billion).
- Managed pre-transaction projects across industries and jurisdictions, including complex reputational due diligence for financial institutions and corporations. Also managed multiple market-sizing, market entry and benchmarking assessment projects in Asia for corporations and sovereign wealth funds.
- Worked with leading financial institutions across various jurisdictions in support of AML/KYC requirements, including reviews and remediation. Additionally, managed numerous projects with global private banks regarding source of wealth diligence.
- Led FCPA compliance program reviews for numerous multinationals, including overall risk assessment and implementation of comprehensive compliance and third party programs to mitigate multijurisdictional risks.
Education and Certifications
- M.B.A., Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
- B.S., University of California
- Oxford Blockchain Strategy Programme
- Anti-Money Laundering (AML)
- Know Your Customer (KYC)
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act and
Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption (ABC) Compliance
- IPO Due Diligence
- Cryptocurrency Compliance
- Third Party and Vendor Screening
- Business Intelligence
- Market Entry Assessment
- Transaction Advisory Services