Kroll Associates UK
Nexus Place, 25 Farringdon Street
Benedict Hamilton is a Managing Director in Kroll’s global Investigations and Disputes practice. Based in London, he leads Kroll’s Business and Cyber Investigations team for the EMEA region, specializing in digital investigations, including open source, and the tools and methodologies that enable clients to combat cyber crime, leaks of confidential information, counterfeiting, and intellectual property (IP) theft.
Benedict started working for Kroll in 1999 and has assisted clients in obtaining vital information in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe as an investigation specialist. Recently, he has been instrumental in developing new ways for civil and criminal methodologies to complement each other for clients, sometimes combined with litigation funding. Benedict has been part of an NCA working group looking at this issue since January 2015.
Prior to joining Kroll, Benedict spent 12 years producing investigative television programmes for the BBC and Channel 4, and was twice Channel 4’s nomination for Royal Television Society (RTS) best journalism awards for programmes on Northern Irish terrorism and Combat 18.
Recent Cases of Note
- Led a successful investigation into unauthorised access of a CEO’s corporate mailbox and the resulting circulation of emails, finding and stopping the perpetrator for a FTSE 30 business.
- Masterminded an investigation which successfully identified anonymous bloggers who had conspired with short sellers to manipulate the market for a corporation’s shares – currently being reviewed for prosecution.
- Investigated fake online reviews and market manipulation by a ‘pass off’ competitor leading to the Competition and Markets Authority opening their own investigation.
- Mapped all European points of sale of high-quality counterfeit garments, identified four clusters, and executed an enforcement strategy resulting in the confiscation of more than $50 million of stock. The group is now being investigated for money laundering by national authorities.
- Leading a pioneering, litigation-funded effort to recover proceeds of crime from abroad for a UK coalition of victims.
Cyber Crime, Data Breach, and Leak of Information
- Determined who leaked information at board level for several major British companies.
- Investigated who was responsible for one of the largest international hacking incidents at a major Middle Eastern power company.
- Successfully investigated multiple data breach incidents.
- Identified numerous abusive anonymous authors (electronic and non-electronic).
- Assisted multiple clients with business email compromise and fake CEO frauds.
Intellectual Property (IP) and Anti Counterfeit
- Identified the theft of a trading algorithm from a fund, coordinating criminal prosecutions and civil litigation in six countries, which mitigated the damage to the client.
- Discovered patent infringement by a global chip manufacturing company in Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, and the UK that led to a multibillion-dollar out-of-court settlement for the client.
- Successfully identified IP theft at several major global companies and law firms.
- Organised covert evidential purchases of stolen and counterfeit goods.
Fraud and Corruption
- Identified those responsible for a $60 million fraud in a Gulf bank, leading to their arrest and prosecution.
- Recovered over $20 million defrauded from a Middle Eastern and African telecoms company.
- Led an investigation into black market sales for a major UK retailer, including infiltration of the ring responsible.
- Identified corrupt payments in Korea, and those responsible, for a FTSE 100 company.
- Investigated multimillion-dollar corruption in Eastern Europe for a global electronics company.
- Investigated a bribery allegation involving the Czech Deputy Prime Minister, on behalf of the Czech Government.
Education and Certifications
- B.A. (Hons.), Philosophy, Politics, and Economics, Balliol College, Oxford
- First Scholar, Westminster School, London