Shabolovka Str. 2, Floor 2, Office 2
Alessandro (Alex) Volcic is a Managing Director in Kroll’s Business Intelligence and Investigations practice and head of the firm’s Moscow office. Alex leads Kroll's Russia and CIS team and serves clients across Central and Eastern Europe as well as the Nordics. He manages a wide range of investigations for corporates and financial institutions, and their advisers, including pre-transactional due diligence, background investigations, market entry studies, internal corruption and bribery investigations, forensic accounting, compliance-driven third party screenings, and asset traces.
Since joining Kroll in 2004, Alex has worked throughout EMEA on numerous due diligence assignments, internal fraud investigations, multijurisdictional asset tracing exercises, and regulatory investigations. He is fluent in English, Russian, German, Italian, and French, and has experience with on-the-ground assignments in Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Romania, Poland, Austria, Germany, other European countries, and in the Middle East.
In 2011, Alex left Kroll for one year to work in BP PLC’s Fraud and Misconduct Investigations team with a focus on the Caspian region. Prior to joining Kroll, Alex worked in a public affairs consultancy, conducting research and lobbying European politicians. He has also taught Russian politics at the London School of Economics.
- Led a multi-subject due diligence investigation in the Russian pharmaceutical sector for a Western pharmaceutical enterprise to determine FCPA risk and degrees of collusion between local management and distributors. The investigation showed collusion between local management and sales channels — and a heightened bribery risk in the relationships between certain distributors and public officials.
- Led an external investigation into a conflict of interest at a foreign manufacturer with industrial operations in Russia. Kroll’s investigation linked local management to a number of suppliers and identified flaws in the company's compliance program.
- Led a due diligence investigation for a Russian extractive conglomerate into mining operations in Africa, entailing a market study, a site visit, and human intelligence inquiries in a remote part of the continent. The investigation showed how the Russian company’s local partners were defrauding it.
- Led an investigation into alleged corruption in the foreign operations of a large Russian industrial conglomerate. The investigation revealed that the corruption allegations were unfounded and had been leaked by a former business partner.
- Led a theft investigation in the Russian agricultural sector that resulted in the identification of missing commodities and to an overhaul of the company’s security operations.
- Led an investigation into insider trading at a local bank that resulted in the identification of the fraud mechanism and the replacement of a dozen senior officials.
- Led a major reputation management project for a Ukrainian client seeking financing from Western financial institutions.
- Conducted an asset tracing and recovery exercise for a Russian bank whose assets had been dissipated in over a dozen worldwide jurisdictions. Identified significant assets in three European and overseas jurisdictions and assisted legal team to obtain freezing orders.
- Led an investigation on behalf of a major multinational corporation into potential regulatory breaches made by senior management of subsidiaries in multiple locations across Eastern Europe. The investigation comprised a forensic review of books and records to collect evidence of potentially corrupt payments over a seven-year period; the coordination and collection of electronic evidence in multiple languages from five jurisdictions for review by the client’s legal counsel and Kroll; and investigative research to identify potentially corrupt third parties. Kroll’s findings were presented to counsel and utilized in regulatory disclosures.
- Led elements of an investigation on behalf of the Ukrainian government into the integrity of major procurement initiatives made by ministries and other state departments. The investigation identified evidence of misapplication of state funds and corruption in the procurement process in the tens of millions of dollars. Kroll’s findings were provided to counsel and used to file actions for recovery in the United States and the United Kingdom.
- Played a leading role in an investigation into a large-scale theft of inventory at a major European electronics manufacturer by organizing test purchases of allegedly stolen merchandise, conducting interviews, and carrying out computer forensics. This led to the overhaul of the firm’s controls environment.
- Led an investigation into alleged bribes paid to public officials by the Ukrainian subsidiary of a U.S. multinational.
Education and Certifications
- MPhil, Government, London School of Economics and Political Science
- BSc, Government and History, London School of Economics and Political Science
- English – Fluent
- Russian – Fluent
- Italian – Fluent
- French – Fluent
- German – Fluent